Drive Clean Taxi
Drive Clean Taxi will accept voucher requests until June 30, 2016
There are more than 6,300 taxis that populate Chicago's busy and congested roadways
on a daily basis. Driving passengers to and from the airport and other important
destinations, taxis contribute to a high level of vehicle miles traveled, fuel consumption
and greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.
The Drive Clean Taxi - Voucher Program is an excellent opportunity to transition
our busy taxis to a cleaner, more efficient transportation fuel. Clean fuel vehicles
make a compelling business case for a metro market business like taxis that have
a return-to-base operation. With an estimated savings of $1.25 to $2 per equivalent
gallon of gasoline, a taxi fleet running on CNG for instance will see positive economic
and environmental benefits. Promoting clean fuel through Drive Clean Taxi
is smart and sustainable solution to expanding our clean transportation network.
- $1,275,000 available for Clean Fuel Taxis
- Voucher incentive provides up to $10,000 toward a vehicle conversion or the incremental cost of a new alternative fuel vehicle.
- Applies to commercially available light duty passenger battery electric (EV) or CNG vehicles or CNG conversions.
- Vehicle must be EPA or CARB certified.
- Vendor/Dealer submits the voucher request on behalf of the vehicle purchaser.
- Taxis and liveries must be licensed and in good standing with BACP to be eligible for Drive Clean Taxi voucher incentives.
- Vehicle Purchaser must comply with 3-year program commitment.